We know that for many young people this is a challenging time for their emotional health and wellbeing. WAM's vision and mission to help young people build resilience is rooted in a belief in the power of personal connection and relationships. Therefore we are prioritising a relational response to Covid-19. We need volunteers to help us with the following:
- Producing short videos of how you are adapting to the lockdown so that we can show young people this is something affecting us all and give them examples of ways other members of their communities are coping and building our resilience
- Offer some time to be available for booked online chats/video calls with young people or parents in your community who need a friendly face to talk to.
To offer help please email Gemma on firstname.lastname@example.org. New volunteers will need to undergo a safe recruitment process including an enhanced DBS check if they don't already have one with an approved organisation.
Due to the current situation and advice being issued by the UK Government our services have changed as follows:
- WAM Mentoring - we have moved/are moving all relationships to online support, this will include new referrals which we are still accepting although have no grant funded spaces left currently.
- WAM Outdoors - we are only continuing with 1:1s with the most vulnerable young people for whom face to face contact is essential. All other sessions, including school groups are postponed.
- WAM Groups - we have moved these online and parents/carers will be notified of how to sign their child up for these.
- WAM Relationships and Sex Education - we are part of a national network of RSE educators and are exploring ways to provide content for the schools we all work in to disseminate through their online learning platforms during school closure
New services to respond to local need (Details will be published as soon as they are available):
Please bear with us as we set up these new services. We have had to focus on adapting our existing services first, before we could work on setting up new forms of support.
- Wellbeing Packs/Lockdown Survival Kits - we are distributing packs to children and young people who are in need. These packs will contain fun activities, suggestions for places to seek support and tips for managing their wellbeing during lockdown. Please contact us if you wish to refer someone to us to receive a pack.
- Phone Helpline - for children or young people to call for support or for adults in the community to call for safeguarding support whether that's as a parent or as someone aware of a child or parent that might be in need.
Online chat with youth workers - We will have an appointment booking system set up on the WAM website with experienced youth workers and volunteers for young people to book for either video or message chat calls.
New online support groups - We will be running online support groups to help young people who may be struggling with anxiety during this time.