WAM Youth Outdoors - Youth Worker Vacancies
Job Title: Youth Work Co-ordinator
Department: WAM Outdoors
Type of Contract: 25hrs per week term-time only fixed term 1 Sept 2021-31 August 2022
Optional zero hours contract may also be available to support after school clubs / youth groups/ school holiday sessions.
Salary: £23,400 pro-rata
Main purposes of Role:
- To assist session leaders in the delivery of a programme of outdoor education for vulnerable and at-risk young people aged 10-18 by supporting students during their sessions to engage in activities and achieve positive outcomes.
- To support group sessions for children and young people who are home schooled and/or school groups and the opportunity to contribute towards WAM’s school holiday activity session.
- To work towards fulfilling WAM’s strategic objectives and intended outcomes.
- To assist the Woodland Manager in their duties outside of educational session provision.
- To work alongside the WAM Outdoors Project Manager in providing 1:1 outdoor mentoring-style education.
- To plan and deliver activities to students being sensitive to the needs and capabilities of the student.
- Contribute to the effective reporting and evaluation of the student’s progress and participation in the project.
- To encourage students to engage with the AQA Unit Award Scheme on offer and to manage the provision of the AQA scheme itself.
- To work alongside the WAM Outdoors Project Manager to deliver group sessions.
- To encourage positive behaviour and participation.
- To support or lead activities as required.
- Contribute to the development of the project and its sustainability.
- To work alongside the Woodland Manager in any / all aspects of woodland maintenance.
- To seek to improve practice and professional skills through relevant learning and reflective practice.
- Ensuring the safety and wellbeing of all young people that are accessing WAM Youth’s services, including adherence to policies and procedures, and making appropriate safeguarding interventions as required.
- Previous experience working with young people (ideally vulnerable and/or at-risk young people) in small groups or 1:1 supportive relationships either in a paid or volunteering role is essential and ideally in an outdoor environment.
- Experience in co-ordinating and planning sessions that positively challenge young people is essential
- Experience in leading outdoor activities is desirable
- Awareness of the impact that ACEs and trauma can have on young people and their behaviours and how this can inform youth work practice
- The post holder must have access to their own transport due to the location of the woodland site.
- Sympathy with WAM Youth’s vision, mission and values.
Reporting to: Dave Willcox, WAM Outdoors Project Manager.
All staff and volunteers will be subject to an enhanced DBS check and safe recruitment process.
Closing Date: Monday 2nd August 5pm. Applications must be completed on WAM Youth’s Application Form and should be emailed to Dave Willcox, Outdoor Education Project Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org
Interviews will be held on Wednesday 11 August 2021.